127 Bank Street
Norfolk, VA 23185
This one-of-a-kind, two-story building, reminiscent of classical Athens or Rome, was built in 1913 and lies within the Downtown Norfolk Historic District, making it eligible for federal and state tax credits. It was built for the Merchants and Mechanics Bank, the only local bank to survive the Civil War. In 1961, it became the home of the Hampton Roads Maritime Association, and subsequently was converted to business offices, including a law firm.
Four fluted ionic columns convey the building's classic identity, with exterior granite and limestone on a steel superstructure. Marble, limestone and granite are used throughout the building. A mezzanine floor gives a balcony effect, making two stories in the center of the building. And yes, the vault is still there. Offered at $495,000.